Tuesday, October 1, 2013

book shelves are finished

Yes you read it right.  After several months our book shelves are finished and installed in our house!

209

I couldn’t be more pleased with them!

You can read my post on when I purchased these shelves and progress we made.

I had some debates with myself over color, but in the end I went with our wall color (which I couldn’t tell you the name without looking) and painted the back a dark brown.  All of which we had!

I didn’t want to paint them a darker color because they are SO big they would have stuck out like a sore thumb.  And I didn’t want to paint them white or an off-white mainly because everything in our house is this color or a shade darker or lighter.  To be honest with you I actually got a quart of an off-white and we sprayed one side in the color and it just looked “beachy”.  It definitely was not the look I was after.

I decided to go with a dark color for the back mainly because it’s SO deep.  I’m hoping the color will trick the eye into thinking the shelves are narrower than they really are.  I don’t know if it’s really working but I like the two-tone look of them!

I thought I would show you a little of our progress…this was Saturday painting.  I guess I didn’t get a picture of Friday night priming.

189

Sunday morning we carried them in.  Believe me they were HEAVY and yes I helped! 

We talked about the placement of the book shelves on the wall over and over again.  This was only going to be done one time!  We cut into the backs for plug-ins and pass-through for cords.  I wanted these babies to be tight against the wall.  We even had to cut holes between them on the outer sides.  Yikes!  Unfortunately these shelves will always have to be in this configuration.  Hopefully I won’t regret that in the future!

196

Here’s one last picture of the desk part of it folded down.  I think I’m most in love with this part!  The computer can be shut away when not in use and guests don’t have to see it when they visit.  In the shelves with the doors and I have our computer headquarters nicely tucked away behind closed doors.  I have yet to bring a cable and phone line up for our modem and router but that’s where it’s all going to be stored.

206

So what’s next…styling!  My fun part! 

I’ve got some things in place but I’ll wait to show you the shelves once everything is finished. 

I’m waiting on a few things…deer antlers for one shelf and possibly some old encyclopedias for another.  Yes you read that right again!  I’m so excited that my Dear-old-Dad has agreed to give me a set of antlers!  I know it might sound a little icky.  I thought it was probably a year ago but it’s grown on me and I want to embrace the trend!

Here’s a sneak peak at one of the shelves I worked on Sunday night.

220

I dug out all of my senior year’s college text books from a box in the basement.  I can remember keeping them thinking I would use them for a reference as I started my professional career.  Well…I can tell you they have NEVER been opened since that last day of class!  Now they are out-of-date and I guess will just look pretty sitting on my shelves!

Thanks for stopping!

Bye for now.

Linking to these parties:  Miss Mustard Seed

No comments:

Post a Comment