Friday, August 23, 2013

update progress on my book shelves

My book shelves are about half way through to completion.  My handy husband thinks you need to sand down to bare wood for them to be painted.  And I don’t know!  I sure don’t want someone's fingernail to swipe away the paint to the wood vanish underneath.  But I just saw on another blog she used “Liquid Sander” to prep the wood instead of sanding.  Urghhh!  I guess we’ll look into that on the next project seeing that all but a couple of shelves need to be sanded.

Disclaimer alert….My dear handy husband has done probably 95% of the work.  I am not claiming responsibility for any of what has been done some far.  I’ve done like a SHELF and that’s it!  I really had higher hopes for myself in sanding these and I even proclaimed that he didn’t need to worry about them I was going to do it.  Well it really didn’t happen that way.  I can not stand sanding!  It’s sooooo boring!

Here the book shelves sit in our garage.

IMG_1328

I also wanted to show you that it’s been a whole family kind of thing to do after dinner on many nights.

Little man is seriously at work, deep in his thoughts while sanding.

IMG_1320

Handy husband is busy at striping the wood.

IMG_1322

And the girls are sitting close by reading and listening to music.  So I guess it’s not totally a family helping thing, but we are all out there together in the garage enjoying each other’s company.  Isn’t that what’s most important?

I haven’t picked a specific color yet, but I do know I want them to be ivory.  As far as the back of the book shelves I want it to be a black or a very dark grey or even a dark brown (which I know we have some left over from a earlier project).  I thought about wall papering it, but no.  It would cost more and I probably would get tired of it faster than just plain old paint.

As the weekend approaches we my handy husband will probably finish the sanding and I will finalize a color (that’s my job!). 

I’ll keep you posted!  Have a super weekend!

Thanks for stopping!

Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment