Wednesday, October 12, 2011

spooky halloween scene

We sent our oldest daughter to heritage school today.  It was fun dressing her up!  Each student needed to where period clothing and take their lunch in a pail with a cloth cover.  She will be experiencing a typical day in the late 1800's.  I can't wait to hear about her day!


Today I thought I would share my spooky Halloween scene I created above the TV area in our living room.

  I was inspired by Pottery Barn's haunted house candle holder and the scene that surrounds it. 


I was NOT inspired by the house's price of $99.99. 

What I think I liked about this is that it was not so Halloween commerical looking.  Children and adults can appreciate and enjoy looking at this.

Could I make something similar?  I could do it....I took several architecture classes and I built a lot of models.  I collected several cereal boxes and started to cut and then spray painted a few.  But then I came across these....


found here and they were cheap! 

I decided to give it a try. 

I didn't like how they were so uniform looking and definitely NOT at all spooky.  They needed some work.  I started with the little one thinking if it didn't turn out then it wouldn't be a big deal.  I cut and I ripped paper and I glued and I folded paper and then glued some more.  I was thrilled at how it turned out and decided to do the same technique to the middle sized house. 

I must say this took quite awhile!  Several days during several nap times.

And finally here's my spooky scene in our living room....


I did cut the backs off the houses so that you could see through them.  It lightens it up.




I did spray paint the tea lights also.  They were originally orange and really stood out.


You don't need to be perfect in your cutting of the windows and door.  It makes it look more haunted when it's not so symmetrical.




I made book covers out of coffee stained freezer paper.  Super easy project...I will post about that soon.


I had fun one weekend burning all these candles so that they looked old and creepy.


And finally the bat banner was just a bat shape found on the internet, traced on black foam, and a string hot glued to the back.

Originally I included pictures like those found in PB's theme behind my scene.  But since my space is a lot smaller it looked way over crowded.

Enjoy making your scary Halloween scene in your home! 

Thanks for coming.

Bye for now!


Linking up to these parties:





2 comments:

  1. I love your haunted houses!
    I have seen houses like that at Hobby Lobby lots of times and wondered what to do with them. Guess where I'm going tomorrow? :)
    I found you through Tatertots and Jello. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea for the houses. It all looks wonderful. The coffee stained freezer paper is great, too!!

    I am having a giveaway on my blog. Hope you can stop by.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete