Thursday, March 24, 2011

Crepe paper flower tuturial

Today I thought I would show you how I made my crepe paper flower balls that I have pictured in my spring tree post found here.


They are a little time consuming, but super easy to make. 

I started with these things:

Hot glue gun with lots of glue sticks
Scissors
Crepe paper (make sure you have a large amount - whole roll)
Ball of any size (I got mine at the Dollar store - 4 for $1.00)



Just a side note - some stores have smaller crepe paper rolls.  I would plan on getting extra so you have enough to finish.  In my earlier versions I noticed dye lots have a variation in color even from the same store but bought at different times.  I got mine at Walmart and I have enough left over from the first roll that I could even make another one.

I started with a strip of crepe paper about 3 feet long.


I cute the strip in half.


I crumped up the strips.


Then I uncrumped it.  I did this so that it would not be so straight.


I started rolling it to make the flower's center.


Once I had a center, I started twisting the end around.


I added a dab of hot glue to secure the end.


Then used hot glue to the bottom and applied it to the ball. 


Be careful!!!  If you use a ball like mine some of the hot glue will go through the holes and land on your fingers!  Ouch!!!  That hurts!!!


I wanted a smushed flower look so I smushed the flowers down a bit.  But that's optional.


The great thing about working with crepe paper is that you can mold it into certain areas.  Once the ball gets covered you end up with odd spaces.  The flowers can be molded to fit those areas.




There it is!  I love how it adds a shot of color to my kitchen window sill.  For my next project I want to make a flower topiary for my bathroom, but haven't come across an ivory crepe paper.  Still searching.

Thanks for stopping.

Bye for now!

Linking to these parties:

Photobucket

UndertheTableandDreaming


3 comments:

  1. I loved that you used whiffle balls! So creative. The styrofoam balls are so expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a cute little project! :) and the whiffle ball idea is brilliant - however i think my husband would kill me if i glued crepe paper flowers to all his wiffle balls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial! I love your little crepe paper flower pomanders!

    ReplyDelete